And to Conclude… [#5]

It’s been a little over a week since I returned to Michigan from my internship, and everyone has been asking me if I can see myself going back to Los Angeles after graduation. And even though I’m such a homebody that I was unable to imagine living far away from the Mitten, I really can see myself living out there.

After all, LA is where you have to be if you really want to work in the media industry. Sure, New York City is another option, but NYC is like sensory overload for me. Aside from the traffic and the cost of living (which I’m trying really hard not to think about right now), I loved the space and diversity of LA. And not to mention, working for Red Wagon Entertainment just reaffirmed my passion for film and television writing, and I know for sure that it’s the direction I want to go.

Looking back on the past three months, I learned so much from my internship than just how to make a decent pot of coffee – which I mostly did until I flooded the coffee maker and the kitchen one day, but we won’t talk about that. I learned how to present myself in an office setting, and how to be confident in my work. I learned how to pitch my ideas to industry professionals and how to collaborate with others on ideas for potential projects.

Not only am I grateful to Red Wagon Entertainment for bringing me on board to develop my skills as a writer and collaborator, but I’m also grateful to the Screen Arts & Cultures department for pointing me in the right direction with this internship. I move back to Ann Arbor this week to begin my Senior (WHAT) year, but I can’t wait to see what adventures the City of Angels has in store for me.

Madison F

Madison (Maddie) Fyke is a rising senior in LSA, pursuing a double major in Screen Arts & Cultures and Communication Studies. This summer she is interning at Red Wagon Entertainment in Los Angeles.