End of my internship (#5)

Now that I finished my internship, I would like to reflect on the various impacts it made on my life. My internship gave me the chance to pursue newly developed interests, to expand my professional network, and to look forward to the future.

After I came home from my study abroad program, I had developed an interest in art and creative expression and this organization allowed me to explore this new interest of mine. The mission of the Lar Lubovitch Dance Company is to create modern dance, perform those works, and teach them to enrich lives in all communities, regardless of race, ethnicity, and socioeconomic background. I like to think that the art world (field of performing arts, fine arts, dramatic arts, music, etc.) is similar to a marketplace of ideas. Art composers innovate something of their own and share it in a setting where an exchange of ideas is taken place. This set-up perpetuates creativity even further because other artists create something different from what’s already been put out on the market. Now that I think about it, my fascination with art and fashion stems from how the two can define individuality. One can express who he or she is by sharing unique artwork or wearing clothes to emphasize a style. During my internship at the dance company, I encountered various forms of artistic expression – which opened up my mind and allowed me to fulfill an interest I never thought I’d have.

Throughout my internship, I had to conduct interviews to receive credit from my department. The interviews had to be done with someone whose career I plan to aspire. I exercised my oral communication skills, gained new insights into legal careers, received constructive advice, and networked with successful individuals. The connections I made have shared their contacts – professionals that may help me in my search for job opportunities after graduation. One interviewee advised me, “Surround yourself with smart people. Almost every employment attainment is through a connection nowadays.” I deeply value the conversations I had with all the interviewees because I built valuable connections on my own, not through my parents or through close friends.I’m very excited, yet anxious, to see what’s next for me. In a nutshell, I plan to focus heavily on my grades to graduate from Michigan with the highest GPA I could earn. Then, I will study for the LSAT and apply to law school. My experience at the internship did not change how I approach graduation. If anything, it advocated the plans I made before interning. Throughout this summer, I’ve spoken to many people who have insight about practicing law and they’ve acknowledged that working for a year before law school is a smart decision. In recent years, it’s been noted that partners at law firms have been disappointed with the level of experience and professionalism young associates lack when they start work. My purpose of working for a year is to save money and gain more legal knowledge. In very few cases, private practices offer paralegals a full-time position after they graduate from law school. I absolutely do not expect that happen to me but it’d be an amazing blessing to be given.

I’m very excited, yet anxious, to see what’s next for me. In a nutshell, I plan to focus heavily on my grades to graduate from Michigan with the highest GPA I could earn. Then, I will study for the LSAT and apply to law school. My experience at the internship did not change how I approach graduation. If anything, it advocated the plans I made before interning. Throughout this summer, I’ve spoken to many people who have insight about practicing law and they’ve acknowledged that working for a year before law school is a smart decision. In recent years, it’s been noted that partners at law firms have been disappointed with the level of experience and professionalism young associates lack when they start work. My purpose of working for a year is to save money and gain more legal knowledge. In very few cases, private practices offer paralegals a full-time position after they graduate from law school. I absolutely do not expect that happen to me but it’d be an amazing blessing to be given.