It’s All About The People You Know | Informational Interview #1

I had the chance to meet a wonderful woman who has inspired me to be my best version possible. We connected because we had the chance to work together the entire time during my internship. On the very last day of my internship, I was able to sit down with her and interview her about her startup business. I knew her networking and social skills were among her greatest talent. I couldn’t wait to hear more. Here’s the inside scoop from the owner of a startup business.

Play the humble card

When meeting someone who could potentially have a connection useful for your business, be humble. To her being humble means being the opposite of acting like “a know it all”. It’s about being sincere and honest. She said it’s important to touch on people’s emotions because they will be more willing to open up to you and provide help if you yourself seem relatable, friendly, sincere, and open.

Don’t be scared to ask for help and reach out

Use the network you build!! As a small business owner, she has gotten great marketing success just from other people spreading her word by mouth.  

Make a clear vision of where you want your business to head.

Starting your own business is hard work. She wish she knew two years ago where her business was heading. Creating a strong vision and goal from the start helps solidify long term goals.

I will apply the words she lives by to my future educational and career pursuits. They are “be kind because it gets you a very long way”. I truly believe that talking to everyone and anyone can teach you a lot. You never know who you will run into or who knows who. Life is one complete circle. It’s almost coincidental that we hear the phrase “it’s such a small world” so often. This woman has made a wonderful impact on my life and has taught me it’s okay not to know it all, and in fact you probably shouldn’t.  

One thought on “It’s All About The People You Know | Informational Interview #1

As someone who is very interested to venture out on a different country to build or expand a business, I agree that having a positive outlook and attitude would be the first step. In the Philippines, there is quite a number who are willing to assist and make sure to turn your enthusiasm into a profit making venture.