Bloomberg Markets Room Analyst | Interview #1

My internship supervisor had every OCIO intern of the U.S. Treasury Department present on a topic. My topic was on Bloomberg as the U.S. Treasury has a Bloomberg Markets Room that uses the Bloomberg Terminal to monitor financial, political, and economic developments across G10 and emerging market economies. For this presentation, my supervisor was able to connect me with an economic analyst who works in the Bloomberg Markets Room. By connecting with this person, I was able to learn that these economic analysts daily synthesize a one page summary of financial currencies, commodities, etc. that occur in the work day across all countries that can affect the U.S. economy. Analysts who work in this room await then a daily call from the White House (even sometimes from the President) to relate the one page summary to to make those on the other land understand the implications of Mexican peso depreciating and how it directly correlates to the U.S Treasury whether thats through our currency, reserves, regulations, policies, etc. In terms of my presentation, I learned that the U.S. Department of Treasury has 74 Bloomberg Licenses which in 2013 cost the gov’t institution 1.6 million dollars. In the end, I learned that Bloomberg Terminal access allows for the U.S. treasury to get real financial, economic, political data in real time. Through my connection with this analysts, I was able to learn about the Bloomberg Market Concepts Certificate: “Bloomberg Market Concepts (BMC) is an 8 hour self-paced e-learning course that provides a visual introduction to the financial markets. BMC consists of 4 modules – Economics, Currencies, Fixed Income and Equities – woven together from Bloomberg data, news, analytics and television” – https://about.bloomberginstitute.com/students/bloomberg-market-concepts/

Thus, I was able to connect my interview with an additional knowledge that came with a certificate upon completion.