Reflections: Blog Post #5

Here we are at the end of our internships and summers. If you’re like me, you might be kicking yourself for not studying more for the GRE or not researching more for your senior year thesis; if not, good for you. To be honest, I feel exhausted. I’ve been working for so long to get to this point, and which graduate program I get into will be the culmination of my labors. It’s a major mental hurdle to get over, and I’m ready for the finish line.

The internship has been wonderful as cerebral stimulation, challenging me in different ways than academia can, but analogous in its attenuation of self-doubt. It has reminded me that intelligence can be measured in ways outside of standardized testing and that much potential lies untapped within the general populace. The experience has re-enforced the significance of communication which is crucial to complete objectives with dispatch, and it has exposed my proclivity for leadership. Nevertheless, these marketable attributes are futile if not employed with kindness; an emphasis on efficiency often times results in a dearth of compassion for others and ourselves. It behooves us all to remember that we are humans, not robots.

Cheers,

Sam