Final Week | Blog Post #5

As my summer internship in the Klionsky lab comes to an end, I am filled with gratitude.  I know that not every student has access to the types of summer opportunities that the University of Michigan has given me.  I know that they have played a large role in shaping my future plans.  Working this summer to get my project investigating the connection between glutathione catabolism and autophagy gave me many insights into what it is like to pursue academic research as a career.  I learned that it takes patience and grit.  I have a greater appreciation for all of the groundwork that must be completed before a scientist can even begin to plan experiments.  While my previous internships gave me the opportunity to learn new experimental techniques, this internship taught me how to think deeply about unanswered scientific questions and how to go about answering them.  Even though this process can be challenging, I know it is something I would like to pursue as a career.  My time in the Klionsky lab has reinforced this decision and expanded my experience as a scientist.  I now feel more confident that I can work independently and as a part of a team to develop a project and see it through.