Networking | Blog Post #4

The art of networking is one that every individual should master within the entertainment industry. Without this skill, your chances of working on a project or getting a job are slim to none. It’s not what you know but who you know and this summer I had high goals of getting to know as many people as I could and become apart of their circle for future opportunities. After of a month of keeping to myself at my job (I can be an introvert when entering new places), I reached out to many employees and executives that worked at Discovery. I set up tons of informational interviews that ranged from 30 mins to an hour and a half. What was great and easy about this was that everyone loves talking about themselves and will make the time to share their story with you, especially as an intern. Everyone that I reached out to was happy to speak to me and I was able to connect with developers, writers, story producers, editors, lawyers, executive assistants, VPs, and all. I didn’t limit myself to just people within my department and was able to meet with so many talented individuals. This was a highlight for the summer because I love meeting new people and getting to people in a professional setting but also on a personal level. I always sent a personalized thank you note to each person. This is KEY and just respectful. By the end of the summer I was networked out, it can become exhausting! Regardless, at the end of the day, I’m more confident that my chances of getting an entry level job once I graduate will be greater than ever before.

AW