Advice | Post #4

Ah, so things are drawing to a close for the summer. While I still have around two weeks left, now is a good time to start reflecting on the summer and my internship.

For this post, let’s focus on what I would tell another student if they were to start my internship/do work in the field of development and fundraising.

Putting it bluntly, development and fundraising are literal rabbit holes. They’re very rewarding fields of work, and I am sure that any student who pursues work in these fields will feel an immense sense of gratification and fulfillment with the work they do. However, these fields are also deceptively complicated. Be prepared to put in a lot of hard work, and find yourself truly being pushed to your limits. However, it is worth it in the end when you help to create a meaningful positive impact.

With this, I will also impart the following pieces of advice to students:

1. Be kind to yourself in your work and ventures
  2. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness. Don’t be afraid to reach out for help!
  3. Your mental health is important. Take care of yourself and don’t be afraid to put yourself first when you have to. Taking care of yourself will better set you up for success!