Blog Post #5| We Would Like to Make an Offer…

My internship ended two weeks ago, and with it I said goodbye to my fellow coworkers. Yet I could not bid farewell without navigating the wonderful but difficult decision my boss gave to me: a paid position. This summer, I was an unpaid intern, meaning I balanced work responsibilities with my paid job as a waitress at a local restaurant/bar. To my surprise, my boss appreciated my work ethic enough to offer me a part-time paid position during the school year, that even had the potential to grow to a full-time job after my graduation.

Most people might immediately accept such an offer, especially with the limited number of jobs for millennials today. For me, however, I know that it is important to invest only if you can completely commit. I felt like my time would be split too much between school and extracurriculars, not to mention a likely 1.5-2 hour drive each way to reach the job from Ann Arbor. At the end of the day, while it was flattering to be able to end my internship knowing that my work over the summer was valued, I turned down the job offer. That in itself was an incredible learning experience, and one I will carry with me should I ever have to turn something down in my future career. Now, bring on the school year!