Thoughts While Nearing the End of My Internship

As I near the end of my internship and my time in DC, I find that I have a lot to reflect on. This experience has given me a lot to be satisfied with, but I also find myself regretting some of the decisions I made during my time in the Capitol. For example, I never gave myself enough time to explore all of the Smithsonians and I haven’t taken a tour of the Library of Congress. During my internship as well, I find myself reflecting on a lot of missed opportunities.

I mentioned at the beginning of my internship that I didn’t want to let my shyness get in the way of having the best experience I can. Although I did a lot to overcome my shyness, I still believe that I could have done more. I find myself reminiscing over meetings where I could have asked a question or could have made a statement, or just somehow made an impact on another person’s day. For example, one of my fellow interns created a group chat where he let all the women in the office know when the bathroom was open and when it was closed for cleaning; I feel that this was a good way to impact the office and I wish I would have done something like this.

Although overall, I would have to say say that this summer has been a positive growing and learning experience for me. I was able to meet a lot of new people with interesting jobs, and I learned a lot from my amazing supervisor and my fellow interns.