What is a leader? | Blog 3

There are many components to serving in a position of leadership. For my role as a College Instructor, I was given a detailed overview of the job. The description included an hour by hour breakdown of where I was supposed to be, what tasks needed to be completed beforehand, and what my students should expect to know and learn by the end of the period. One important aspect I looked over for the leadership role, that I am sure most people forget, is the importance of admitting when you need help and asking questions. My first week, I struggled, despite having held the position in previous summers. I was especially concerned with how to maintain a role of authority with the students on my team while still keeping a fun environment. I did not want to be labeled as the “strict” instructor, however, I did not want to lose control of the classroom. I neglected to bring this problem up in the first week of debriefings, afraid that I would seem like the weakest staff member. I was very surprised that after the first week, while having a casual lunch conversation with some of my coworkers, I discovered that numerous others were also having the same problem. The feedback we were able to provide each other was both helpful and strengthened the support network throughout the staff. It was difficult to admit having trouble with the position, but it was not seen as a sign of weakness. Rather, it is a true show of leadership to be able to ask for help.

Jasmiyne Hudson

Class of 2018, Senior at the University of Michigan studying Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience.