#5; Reflections

It has now been about a month since my last day of the internship. The only real reminder I have of it is a client I have continued corresponding with via-letter about his circumstances.

Looking back now, it feels like the rest of the world exists so separately than anything pertaining to criminal justice or prisons. Which makes sense; as the point of a prison is to separate people from the rest of society.

At the same time, though, there are still thousands of people in the state of Michigan living within prisons. And I don’t want to forget about these men and women.

Everyday walking into my internship, I arrived ready to learn more about this system as well as contribute in any way possible. Other than being a wonderful learning opportunity, this summer also served as a wonderful opportunity to realize how passionate I am about criminal justice.

That being said, throughout the summer the topic was relevant in my everyday life. I was immersed in it at work, and even when at home I found myself reading books pertaining to the subject or watching documentary films.

Since leaving it feels to be more of a fight to keep those thoughts relevant in my head. Which is good in one sense, this summer I dealt with a lot of heavy information so it is good to get a break. But at the same time, I don’t want to get too far from it.

Looking forward now, I see me taking this passion and applying it in different ways. This fall I am taking a documentary photography class, and already I am thinking about things I want to document, topics I want more people to understand. Automatically juvenile justice popped into my head as a possibility to explore.

I am unsure what the future holds exactly. While law school is still very likely and possible, I am also considering other ways of working within the juvenile justice field; such as photography.

I am thankful for a summer and internship that sparked a passion in this field.