Secretary Carson Speech | #4

As a part of the White House Internship Program Speaker Series, I was privileged enough to hear from several senior White House staff members. One of my personal favorite speakers we had the chance to hear from was Dr. Benjamin Carson, U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.

During his speech to our intern class Dr. Carson conveyed his thoughts on ways the government can empower the impoverished citizens of the United States. He did this by explaining how his upbringing in an underprivileged community in Detroit allowed him the success he has had as a renowned neurosurgeon and now the Secretary of HUD.

Hearing him speak in person was inspirational, because not only did he grow up about 45 minutes away from me, but he had also made the same observations as I had regarding the urban development restructuring that needed to occur in order for our hometown to be as prosperous as it once was. When Secretary Carson shared his ideas on implementing government incentives in order to repurpose vacant buildings in order to create opportunities for youth mentorship programs and decrease crime in urban areas, I knew that this man was the right man for the job due to his vigilance and willingness to act.

I feel very grateful to have had the opportunity to hear from Secretary Carson just a few months after he had accepted his new role at HUD because seeing the fire in his eye and hearing the charisma in his voice is something I will never forget. Hearing Secretary Carson speak gave me some real hope for my most prominent goals in life which is to make a serious and positive impact on the city of Detroit. I believe with people as smart and dedicated to the improvement of urban areas as Secretary Carson, there isn’t much that can’t be accomplished in my hometown.