Informational Interview | Blog #8

I had an informal informational interview with a financial manager at Robert Bosch. Now that I am close to looking for my own full-time job, I wanted to learn about different careers from as many industries as possible. She started out as a consultant, and she advised me to go into consulting for its expansive reach in learning about different kinds of industries and also the traveling. I was told that if I wanted to improve my critical thinking skills and problem solving skills while exploring the world, being a consultant would be the right fit for me. However, she warned about the working hours of a consultant, having to constantly stay up late working and waking up early to repeat the day again.

“Only be a consultant when you’re young and not committed to anything,” she said.

I asked her about the challenges she faced along her career, and how did she overcome it. One of the biggest challenges she faced was the uncertainty in whether she was going to get a job or not, much like what I am going through now. Eventually, her previous boss recommended her to other people and soon enough she landed a job. She showed me not only the extent of her perseverance, but also a clear lesson about connections. Sometimes, it is not about what you know, but who you know. This inspired me to go out and talk to more people and get to know more people.