Blog Post #2: Overcoming Challenges

This past week I worked on building a framework for DetourGuy that categorized it’s potential KOLs (social influencers). I’m currently working on finding specific KOLs that are a good fit to market our brand. Brian, my internship mentor, gave me an excel spreadsheet which included questions about the KOLs that I need to answer while deciding whether or not they would be a good fit. After this, the plan is to go and contact the KOLs and see if they would be willing to promote our product with little to no cost to us. I’m excited to see if this is possible.

There is a 12-hour time difference between Hong Kong and Ann Arbor. This makes it hard to communicate with Brian outside of our Skype meeting. I can’t expect him to immediately respond to emails because when I try to contact him, he probably would be sleeping. After a couple weeks, I’ve adjusted and we’ve been using WhatsApp to communicate. I’ve adjusted my expectations about how fast he will respond. I have also made sure that I send Brian messages long before I need an answer. WhatsApp makes it easier because Brian checks it more often than his email. After switching over to this app, I think we’ve made a lot of progress.

One thought on “Blog Post #2: Overcoming Challenges

• November 17, 2017 at 9:21 pm

It’s great to hear that you have worked out an effective communication method, Nichole! Time zones are one of the biggest challenges for organizations working with employees around the world, so I think that will be great experience for you wherever your journey may take you! I am looking forward to hearing about how the rest of your internship unfolds.