Blog Post #3: Professional Identity

One of the strongest parts about my identity is my ability to problem solve. Coming with a lot of computer science background, I believed that I had the best problem solving skills because everything involving programming involved problem solving, from the initial coding of the programming to the debugging. Over the course of this internship, I’ve learned that there is a lot more to my identity that still can be developed. I’ve hit a lot of dead ends in my research of the market because there is not a clear path to our end goal but I’ve slowly been learning different ways to problem solve that I didn’t obtain while pursuing a computer science degree my first two years of college.

This past week, I have been given the task of finding more social influencers and ranking them based on their utility to DetourGuy. I struggled with this at the beginning but after talking to Brian and clarifying what the goals of DetourGuy are, it made it easier and less time consuming to analyze how the needs to certain influencers fit the needs of our services. For this following week, my task is to find more social influencers that we will eventually contact. We currently have a goal of 50. I also need to draft an email which will be used as our first initial contact with these social influencers.

One thought on “Blog Post #3: Professional Identity

• November 29, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience, Nichole! I think a lot of us go through that period where everything that we thought we knew turns out to only be part of the bigger picture of skills that we may need. I’m glad that you are finding ways to work through your professional identity and develop yourself into the professional that you want to be!