Blog Post #5: Overcoming Obstacles

At the beginning of the internship, one of the biggest challenges I had to face was to meet a deadline when finding social influencers to brand DetourGuy. The problem with this was time management. This internship is not like the other jobs I have or have had in the past because there is not a supervisor telling me what to do and when to do it. I should set aside time myself to get work done and I didn’t learn this until a little while into the internship that I needed to actively say I would work for a certain number of hours on this specific date. After realizing this, I honed my time management skills and got work done faster.

This past week, I had several exams. After telling Brian this, we decided it would be best if I didn’t do too much work for DetourGuy. I just needed to find more social influencers and create an excel spreadsheet with their information and customize an email to create a mail merge that we will send out during the following week. We hope that from the 30 social influencers I picked out, at least 5-10 will respond to our business partnership. I am excited to see if this works out. If it doesn’t, I am excited to figure out more ways we can partner with people.

One thought on “Blog Post #5: Overcoming Obstacles

• December 18, 2017 at 1:47 pm

I am glad to hear that you have set appropriate boundaries for yourself and have been able to communicate clearly with Brian, letting him know when you’ll be working as well as when you need more time for yourself (or exams!).