Informational Interview

Mr. ***********

Hello my name is Brandon Weber and I am working in the Office of Israeli and Palestinian Affairs for a ten-week internship. I am a junior at the University of Michigan studying Political Economy and Development as well as learning Arabic. I am reaching out to you because I am not only interested into Middle East politics, but also very interested in investment policies that affect the international economic relations between countries. I would love the opportunity and very appreciate it if I could speak with you about your responsibilities at the Office of Investment Affairs and the overall culture within the Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs.

I look forward to hearing back from you,

Thank you,

Brandon Weber

Office of Israeli and Palestinian Affairs

Department of State

Email: ************

Cell: *************

I met with an employee that works in the Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs at the International Finance and Development Department and specifically works in the Office of Investment Affairs. He oversees and analyzes cases when foreign countries want to take a minority or majority stake in U.S. private companies or assets. I connected with him because I was very interested into investment affairs and how it can work within the foreign policy sector of the government. I learned how truly large the bureaucracy is within the Department of State and how long of a complicated process it is to move documents and approvals through the system. This interview helped me understand that even if I am within a very intriguing office at the Department of State, the work environment is still slow-paced.