Blog 2: Overcoming Challenges

Communication in my virtual internship has been great so far, but I acknowledge that I am at the very beginning of the process. I had the opportunity to attend Eric Berman’s session and meet with him afterwards on Friday. It was really nice to be able to have a face-to-face meeting where he laid out the expectations the Small Arms Survey had for me. Besides just getting a very clear plan, it was great to see how passionate he is about the survey and his work which made me even more excited to join the Survey. An added bonus was that he gave me hard copies of the Small Arms Survey reports which saved me a lot of printing money! 

I am posting this  a bit early as I was already given the plan for the entire week when I was added to an email chain with the entire team. I will be receiving a background paper at the end of the week which I will be in charge of fact-checking. My task for this week is to simply look that paper over. Next week, I will be having a conference call with two members of the team based in DC. They are the two people I will be working with most closely and they will be laying out further the plan for the next two months. Everyone has been really welcoming so far and seems really eager to talk with me. Hopefully this kind of communication keeps up for the entirety of the project as that will make for a very positive and educative virtual internship.

One thought on “Blog 2: Overcoming Challenges

• February 21, 2018 at 1:22 pm

I’m so glad to hear that Eric has been easy to communicate with–that definitely makes a difference in an internship like this! Having some contacts in Washington, D.C. will also probably make the communication easier as you’re not communicating across time zones to get to Europe.

It sounds like everything is off to a really good start. I hope that you enjoy reading the reports and fact-checking them for Eric.