Blog: Information Interview 1

I decided to connect with my boss who is a Help Me Hank producer at WDIV – Local 4 News. Every time I had a question or needed her input on a situation, she always was there. We were close in age, and I felt comfortable talking with her. She also offered a lot of insight about the field. She shared her personal experiences throughout her undergraduate and graduate career, prior internships, the job she held before working at Local 4 and her current position. She told me going into this field would be challenging. If I were to seek a position as an Associate Producer, I would not have a social life due to my shift requirements. But, it would be worth it in the end. As I was listening to everything she had to say, it did scare me but I was ready for it all. She told me what I would endure would be a learning opportunity. Mistakes will happen, but it is about learning from them and doing better. She also reassured me the problems I had with writing for print (newspapers) and TV would easily be resolved once I gained more experience. She did tell me this was a problem for her as well, but in a short amount of time, she was able to master it, which made me feel much better. From talking with her, I decided to keep an open mind as I continue with my career pursuits. I will strive to learn something new each day because there always is room for growth.