#1 | The Beginning of the Canadian Journey, Eh?

During the end of the school year I wanted to find an internship studying environmental sciences, something that could further my studies in ecology and animal behavior that would look good for grad school. Despite what my intentions were in coming here (and how my educational career has changed), I was placed in a different type of research than I anticipated, but rather than being dismayed, I decided to take the opportunity to really broaden my appreciation for other fields including food security, charcoal identification, and possibly geographical data analysis that I will be doing here in Labrador, Canada.

When I received word that I was going to Happy Valley – Goose Bay in Labrador, Canada, I was ecstatic, but I didn’t actually know who or what I was coming to. Goose Bay is about 10 degrees North and 1,700 miles northeast of Ann Arbor. I knew that Goose Bay was small, a population of roughly 8,000 people, a large majority of them being Native Americans, but other than that I was in the dark.

My goal during this internship is to explore, support, and provide Happy Valley – Goose Bay with something that they might not have had without my time here. I have already met a few really nice people that I now consider my friends, (whom I will talk about in the next blog!) In the end, I want to make a lasting impression on those here and come out a better, more appreciative and well-rounded individual than before I arrived.

I will however have challenges, mostly because of food. I am vegetarian, and as you might expect with living this far north is that there aren’t a lot of vegetarian options unless it is imported, typically at a price. In addition, the Labrador Institute interns are graciously provided a meal plan at the local residence dorm (which we pay for, but it is cheaper than most places here in Goose Bay due to lack of housing and excess jobs). However, the dining hall is quite small, typically only having one or two options, always containing meat (this will be revisited in the next blog however).

In the end, I am excited to live and share these experiences as they are exciting, beautiful, and captivating (for me anyway) for what might not be assumed of for a small town like Happy Valley – Goose Bay. (A sneak peak of the scenery below!)

See you next week!

Michael

2 thoughts on “#1 | The Beginning of the Canadian Journey, Eh?

Hi Michael,

Glad to hear that you are settling in and have already made some friends! It sounds like you are approaching your internship with an open-minded and appreciative attitude, and that should help you get a lot out of the experience.

In terms of food, I had a similar experience when I taught in a rural village. The aboriginal culture there really focused on meat (which I don’t eat) and it was challenging to have to bring my own food all the time. I’m interested to see how you problem-solve around that!

Best,
    Jenny

Look at that beautiful Canadian landscape! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you Michael, but I’m glad to see you’re embracing this different opportunity and it’s awesome to hear you’re already making friends. Looking forward to reading more of your posts, especially in regards to your food situation and updates about your goals of making a lasting impression on the people around you and becoming a more appreciative, well-rounded individual!