Flash Internship: Sports Media – Blog Post #1

First and foremost, I applied for this internship because I love media production. I love everything from being the talent to editing to working with others to create some pretty great “eye candy.” More recently, I’ve developed an interest in media production in the sports industry. By participating in this experience, I hope to gain a better understanding of the relationship between media and consumers/viewers and what types of skills and personalities are present among those currently working in the industry.

Ever since coming to the University of Michigan, I have spoken to many seniors who have mentioned that they don’t feel prepared to enter “the real world.” They have fleshed out their identities as students, but their professional identities remain underdeveloped. Before I graduate, I would like to have enough experience behind me to stand confidently in front of hirers and believe myself when I say, “I’ve got this.” It is never too late to start preparing for the future, and this internship, following my first year in University, will hopefully launch my journey in professional development.

I expect that all interns will be held to a reasonably high level of responsibility and professionalism. I also expect that this internship will go beyond tours in that it is interactive and a real “inside” experience instead of it being one large demonstration where all we can do is look. I believe that the internship will satisfy this expectation with activities like the alumni panel and the hands-on project that we’ll be participating in at the Farmington Indians vs. Rocky Hill softball game. I am excited for what’s to come, and I eagerly await departure for Manhattan on May 9th!