Here Goes Nothing | #1

I am currently on day three of my internship in Happy Valley Goose Bay up in Newfoundland, Canada.  I’m doing research on fisheries policy, which basically consists of me reading documents and synthesizing them into nice timelines that hopefully indicate particular things causing the beginning and end of fisheries as well as its effect on people.  While looking for an internship, I particularly wanted to find one where I can gain further experience in social science research, which is (as of right now) what my career plan consists of.  Moreover, I wanted to go internationally and participate in a different experience, and I have definitely found that here.

I’m not sure I really have a more concrete goal other than that I want to do a good job.  I want to leave this internship with the organization being happy that they decided to have me for two  months.  As I touched upon earlier, I also hope to develop my research skills and gain more real world experience.  But I also hope to grow as a person while I’m out here in the middle of nowhere.  I was born and raised in Ann Arbor and I obviously attend UM, so I clearly have not ventured far from home up to this point.  So while yes, the work is important and is a big part of what drew me here, but I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t also driven by the feeling of the need to grow up a little more.

That being said, I’ve been unsurprisingly homesick.  However, everyone here is incredibly nice and the other UM interns are great as well.  I also found a gym that recently opened up within walking distance to my residence so I’m looking forward to getting back in a familiar routine.  In terms of my actual internship, I expect I’ll mess up somewhere along the line (first time doing a research type fulltime job and I don’t know a whole lot about fisheries yet), which will probably stress me out a lot.  I just hope that when these challenges present themselves I can keep some things in perspective.

3 thoughts on “Here Goes Nothing | #1

Wow sounds like quite the experience Justin! Looks like you’re setting yourself up well in terms of relevant research experience for your future career goals. In regards to your stress about messing up, I wouldn’t worry about it! Everybody makes mistakes (especially in their first job). Don’t fear away from mistakes because mistakes present the best opportunity for personal growth. Good luck with your internship and the gym grind, looking forward to reading more of your blog posts!

Hi Justin, it seems like you’ve already taken a big step in going from Ann Arbor to Happy Valley – Goose Bay! I’ve never been there, but based on what I’ve seen and heard you will definitely be able to develop as a whole person (in addition to your research and professional growth). I agree that getting into a familiar routine will help you with the homesickness, as well as helping you deal with the stresses of learning the ropes in a new position.

Hi, Justin–

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. Heading to Canada from Ann Arbor is definitely a big leap, so I want to congratulate you for pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone to do this. You should feel very proud of yourself!

Homesickness is a very common feeling to have upon arrival. One of the best things that you can do to help combat it is to get involved where you are but to also focus on maintaining connections back to Michigan. It sounds like you’ve found a way to continue to work out while you’re in Canada–that’s great, and I’d encourage you to continue to do that! You might also consider setting up a regular time to call/Skype/FaceTime/etc. with friends or family back home. That can help you stay tied to Ann Arbor even as you engage in this amazing internship opportunity elsewhere.

Cheers,

Ian