Flash internship Goals

My goal of this flash internship is to see where I would realistically fit best in the realm of sports media. To get the chance to see where my personality would best fit in is a very important thing for me so that I can begin to narrow in on my career. Another goal of mine is to network ! I want to gain as many connections as possible so that I can not only benefit myself for the future but continue to maintain the relationships made during the internship. Networking up is important but networking across is just as important, the students who embark on this journey with me may possibly be my coworkers in the future and it is important to build relationships with them. When I walk away from this internship I want to walk away with a plan for my career and have the help and connections to fulfill that plan. I want to know exactly what I want to do and most of all I want to learn. Being a sponge and soaking up all of the knowledge from alumni is extremely important.

One thought on “Flash internship Goals

Hello Courtney,

Thank you for sharing your insights regarding your goals and expectations for this flash internship. What really stands out about your response is the importance of ‘networking across’. That is not something that comes up often, but it holds a lot of importance. Have you given much thought to how you are going to network across? While you will be sharing the experience with them, you will likely have to be intentional about those interactions in order for them to be as fruitful as possible.

With that said, I also think your head is in the right place as far as ‘networking up’. These alumni have a lot of knowledge they are ready to share. However, given the shortage of time you know that you will have to be intentional about those interactions as well. You might want to think about how you plan to prioritize the connections you are going to make and what you want to get out of them. Also, you might want to consider how you plan to maintain contact with these individuals. Setting up a schedule for yourself and/or a plan of action may be worth your time to ensure these relationships last beyond a 5-minute conversation on Wednesday.