A Week of Firsts!

This past week has consisted of many firsts for me! It’s my first time traveling abroad on my own and my first time visiting Bangalore, India! Having lived in the U.S. for my entire life, everything about India is so new and exciting. Getting to talk to people that come from a different background than mine has been eye-opening.

I am in India because I am working at the Canadian International School(CIS) based in Bangalore, India this summer. This school provides a quality education like no other because of its fantastic staff and diverse student body. My job as an intern here is to help with the contextual learning program which officially starts in three weeks. This program give students the chance to apply what they learn in the classroom to the real world by bringing them to different organizations in the city. Because the program is still in its planning phase, my job as an intern is to visit the different sites and work out any logistical issues. This past week I went to Nandi Hill and an Ayurvedic resort to see the location and make sure they are suitable for bringing a group of middle school students. I really enjoyed learning about India’s history and rich culture at Nandi Hill. The architecture was beautiful and truly one of a kind.

(Inside a temple by Nandi Hill)

(Shathayu Ayurveda Yoga Retreat)

For the coming week, I hope to have more opportunities to get to the know the students at CIS. I want to get more involved on campus and interact more with the staff.

2 thoughts on “A Week of Firsts!

Hi Cindy! What an awesome place for you to visit for your first time traveling alone. It seems especially exciting because you get to experience India while working for a Canadian school. The work you’re doing sounds fantastic and really dynamic because you get to visit so many different sites! I think it’s a great idea for you to try getting to know more students. What sort of activities or opportunities do you imagine you might be able to do to get to know them?

Happy travels!

Danielle

Hi Cindy,

Happy to see that you’ve gotten to explore India as part of your internship, and that the experience has been eye-opening so far! I wonder how these places will feel once you bring the students for contextual learning, especially as you become more familiar with the various locations.

Excited to hear more next week,
    Jenny