Happy Valley Goose Bay | #2

I’m honestly not entirely sure how I feel about my internship so far.  Coming in, I was told that I would be working independently for the most part, which is fine.  I don’t particularly care if there’s someone breathing over my shoulder or not.  Regardless, that has definitely been the case so far.  I was also told that research would be waiting for me when I arrived but that is unfortunately not the case.  I’m a little over one week in, and I’m not entirely sure what my end goal is.  Of course, this could be resolved by asking my supervisors but unfortunately they are not quite done with the methodology for the project that I am supposed to work on.  If you read my previous blog, you might remember that I started constructing various timelines and stuff like that but I’m starting to gather that that is busy work and more of a way to get me acclimated to the topic and history of what I am going to be researching (fisheries and the like).

I guess that’s why I don’t know how to feel about the internship so far.  It sort of feels like I’m wasting my time and resources here; my supervisor said the methodology would be done in a couple of days and if that’s the case, wouldn’t it have been a better use of time and funding to come two weeks later?  At the same, as someone who is far better at following directions rather than taking the initiative, maybe this is a good exercise for me.  That’s what this internship experience is all about I suppose; regardless of if this thing turns out positive or negative (or somewhere in between), there’s going to be much to be learned and it’s up to me if I want to be receptive to it.  That past couple of days have been a little boring and I’ve found myself counting down the time until June 22nd when I fly back home and that’s not really the attitude I want to have.  Life is short, I’m only here eight weeks, and I’m likely never to be in a place like Happy Valley Goose Bay ever again.  The grass is greener where you water it.

Also I can’t forget that I am ultimately here to do research that aims to help better the livelihoods of indigenous groups in the area (as it pertains to fisheries, which is a huge source of economic income and cultural value).  So before I get super selfish or woe is me, have to remember why I’m here.

This blog post is getting a little long, which I guess is what happens when I take the “stream of consciousness” approach when writing these.  Here are some pictures to enjoy if you got this far (or scrolled down or whatever).

2 thoughts on “Happy Valley Goose Bay | #2

Hi, Justin–

Thanks for sharing an update for us. I’m really sorry to hear that you’re experiencing some frustrations with your internship and are wondering if this is the best use of your time. It must be difficult to show up and not have the work ready to go for you. One of the things that I’d encourage you to do to help combat this is to have an honest conversation with your supervisor. While it might be more comfortable to sit back and wait for directions to be given to you, taking the initiative to shape your experience in Canada is not only going to set you up for future success where self-advocacy is essential, but I bet it’ll leave you with a better

Hi, Justin–

Thanks for sharing an update for us. I’m really sorry to hear that you’re experiencing some frustrations with your internship and are wondering if this is the best use of your time. It must be difficult to show up and not have the work ready to go for you. One of the things that I’d encourage you to do to help combat this is to have an honest conversation with your supervisor. While it might be more comfortable to sit back and wait for directions to be given to you, taking the initiative to shape your experience in Canada is not only going to set you up for future success where self-advocacy is essential, but I bet it’ll leave you with a better experience overall. You could ask your supervisor to have a meeting with you to discuss your project work so far, and this could be an opportunity for you to say that you’re feeling a little lost and in need of some additional direction. It can be really difficult for supervisors to know if their people need additional support, and this might well be the case here.

Ian