Moriumius Week 1

I have just finished my first week as an intern at Moriumius in Ogatsu, Japan – I am so glad that I have the opportunity to work here for the next two months! Last summer, I visited Moriumius as a part of the GIEU Japan program, and I was very interested in returning to Moriumiusas an intern. So far, this internship has been everything that I had hoped it would be. Every day, I am exposed to nature and am able to interact with people from all over the world. Since I live with the other employees of Moriumius, I have been able to make friends very easily. There is another intern from France here as well, and I am very glad to have another foreigner here with me before the other Michigan interns arrive in the coming weeks.

My first day, I explored the land around Moriumius and learned that the Ogatsu area of Japan is truly one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Let this picture be proof of this fact:

Moriumius is surrounded by mountains and the ocean – a great way to destress after a very bad semester.

I had two days off this week, so I travelled to the nearest big city, Sendai, with one of my new friends. In Sendai, I walked to the Sendai castle and admired the view of the city for awhile. I also was able to practice my Japanese a little by asking someone to take this picture for me. 

I will be at Moriumius for the next 7 weeks, and then I will do some independent traveling for several weeks. If this week is any indication of the weeks to come, then I am certain that this will be one of the best summers yet!

One thought on “Moriumius Week 1

Dear Caroline,

So glad to hear that your GIEU trip last year has blossomed into an internship and a deep immersion into rural Japan! Moriumius looks gorgeous and an idyllic retreat from school life (although of course lots of hard work is involved as well). It sounds like after this internship you will have a strong support group of Japanese, French, and U-M co-workers before traveling independently.

Have you traveled solo before? Going to Japan was actually my first time traveling alone, and I ended up really loving the experience.

Best,
    Jenny