Arriving in Aussie| #1

The jet lag cannot be more real let me tell you. After flying out of Detroit on Tuesday May 8th, I have finally arrived in Sydney, Australia on Thursday May 10th. After flying for more than 20 hours, I am ready for a nap. Unfortunately, it is to my advantage at this point to try to stay awake to combat jet lag. So while my body says, 4pm Wednesday, Australia is telling me it is is 6:30 AM Thursday. As soon as I arrived in Sydney, accompanied by fellow wolverines, we were directed towards our coach that was to direct us through a short walking tour of downtown Sydney. So while we were all very tired, sleepy and hungry, we set forth toward our tour. It was actually very fun! First stop, the Botanical Gardens, we saw beautiful plants and trees native to the land. We all went down to the docks where we had our first of many live views of the Harbor Bridge and the Sydney Opera House. Later that day, we had dinner with a beautiful view of Bondi Beach. Can you guess our first meal? Never in my life would I have imagined that my first dinner in Aussie would be kangaroo. That was an adventure. I do not consider myself a risky eater at all, but you know what what they say, “when in Australia, do as the Aussies.” I’m not sure if that is an actual saying but it definitely should be.  To be honest through, it tasted very much like ordinary steak, except this time, I felt very guilty consuming this because they are so cute and cuddly. So as the sun set on our first day, it was time for bed, most of us fell asleep at 6pm and slept through most of the night.

One thought on “Arriving in Aussie| #1

Hey Erica! I’m Maggie and I work at the LSA Opportunity Hub. I’m going to be following your blog this summer. I’m excited to continue to hear how your internship is going!

Wow, that is a really long trip! It’s totally understandable that you are exhausted. I’m impressed with your resolve to stay awake. It sounds like you are experienced with dealing with jet lag and know what to do. I’m glad to hear that you had fun on the tour even though you were tired. It sounds really interesting! Especially trying kangeroo. It sounds like you felt a little uncomfortable but were prepared to try something new. Would you eat it again?

I hope you are now well-rested and settling in to your internship in Sydney. I’m really looking forward to hearing more about your experience!

Maggie