Flash Sports Internship Blog #2 – Final Reflections

The flash internship has greatly influenced my future career plans. Having this hands on experience as well as getting to meet and hear from successful U-M alumni about their experience has helped answer and generate new questions I have about my future in the sports media industry. I really appreciated the real advice given to me by the alumni. For example, Tracy Wolfson gave me interesting advice about majoring in communications that has me thinking hard about what I want to pursue academically that will help me towards my future career. As far as my position in this internship, I’ve always wanted to try to pursue the talent sector of this industry, but never had real experience with calling games/matches in a broadcast. I was very nervous and scared coming into the broadcast as a first time analyst, but the advice I received from Dan Steir built my confidence that I could handle these new challenges. I internalized his words and every bit of advice he had to offer because it was authentic and resonated with me. At the end of the day, I was better at the end of the day than at the beginning, something Dan taught all of us. I have become more excited to learn about other sports I’m not yet familiar with and become more experienced with sports broadcasting. I am planning on applying to more sports internships and using the connections I made on this trip to catalyze my future career in sports media.

One of the greatest takeaways from this experience was all the information I received about how to get started in this business. Coming into this internship I had no idea what I wanted to do and was overwhelmed by the opportunities and jobs the sports media industry has to offer. Rather than looking for one answer and one position to do in the future, I truly appreciated the advice from the alumni that told me to “try everything” and to “get my foot in the door.” I realize that nothing comes to you and you have to get out there and show you want it. You need to show others what you are passionate about and that you will work hard to get it. On another note, during our mock production, I had no idea I would like working in the truck and was limiting myself to only being an on-air professional. I think that in the future I will not only pursue diligently finding opportunities to learn and get involved in the industry, but also not confine myself to one type of career track. I believe its through real-life experiences that you find what you are passionate about, not what you theorize you are eager about. Another takeaway I had was just how awesome this program was. From connecting with alumni, to working in a production truck and everything  between, this internship was about improving our skills and developing our interests in the indsutry. Unlike other internships that focus on how you help others, this internship was about how they could help us become better in a professional setting and understanding the sports media industry.

Some things I wish I had done differently on this internship was being more confident in myself when talking to alumni. At the beginning I was a little timid to ask questions and ask for contact information to  network with the alumni in the future. I think I could have gotten more out of the experience with the alumni by asking questions I had wanted to ask but did not get to because of timing  and being more confident in-myself. Even though I don’t have a ton of experience in the industry, I still had strong questions and wished I had asked them instead of shying away from the opportunity.  I also wish I hadn’t limited my interests in positions in the industry and had explored looking into other options and talked to other people who I was less familiar with. I wish I had  found out more about what they do and what their job entails instead of assuming I wouldn’t be interested in their careers.  The work in the production truck really inspired me to go outside my comfort zone and learn/try everything in the industry to find what best fits me.

One thought on “Flash Sports Internship Blog #2 – Final Reflections

Dani,

Thank you for taking the time and energy to invest in this reflection. As simple an idea as it was/is, it’s amazing how impactful Dan’s mantra was: be better at the end than you were at the beginning. I think that showed for you not only during the softball broadcast, but also during the entire trip as a whole. It’s exciting to read that you are now interested in learning about sports with which you lack familiarity. That will only increase your profile and make you more versatile. Have you devised a plan of how you will identify more sports internships/opportunities? If not, perhaps consulting with one of the alumni with whom you connected about different types of experiences of value would be a good thing to do. If you did not get contact information during the trip, remember that many are on LinkedIn or have information online regarding how to contact them.

I’m happy knowing that this internship facilitated you improving your confidence in a professional setting and your understanding of the industry. It often truly is about just getting your foot in the door. With that said, you should think about being intentional about that entry. You may not love the first position, but you can still gain a lot from it. You may want to consider writing down/keeping track of what you gain from each position, starting with the broadcast truck experience. This could prove influential when reflecting on experiences and assessing how they impact your future plans.

Confidence will grow the more you’re willing to take risks on yourself. That is not something you are born with; it’s a learned feeling and behavior. Do not be so hard on yourself. It was an intimidating group of alumni. However, I hope that you saw that they are just “regular people”. They were in your shoes at one point, so they understand how nerve-wracking that sort of environment could be. And remember, people love to talk about themselves. You may want to consider setting up informational interviews with those from different parts of the industry. If you need help with the language when sending outreach messages, do not hesitate to use the Hub.

It was amazing getting to know you over the course of this experience. It was equally amazing seeing your growth from the time you interviewed to the person you were in the production truck and behind the camera. Keep your growth mindset and an open mind, and I’m confident you’ll be happy where you land.

Mike