Sports Media Flash Internship #2

I think the flash internship reaffirmed my love for sports and being surrounded by people who also love sports. Since they are on my mind 24/7, it was incredible to put those thoughts and passions to work throughout the three days, especially the day where we actually did the hands-on broadcast. I definitely want to pursue a career in sports media down the line, hopefully in an on-air role. However, if I learned anything this week, it’s to be patient and be willing to work my way up to the top, which I’m absolutely willing to do given how multifaceted the industry is and how many intriguing roles are contained within it.

My biggest takeaways, besides the one mentioned above about being patient, is that you dictate how you are regarded within the industry. If you go in with a positive attitude, do what’s required of you (the “homework”), and carry yourself professionally, then you will earn respect among peers and colleagues. I appearing dedicated and prepared is critical in such a competitive field because it easy to get replaced if you aren’t giving your all.

If I had to re-do anything during the internship, I’d say I would have liked to ask more questions during a couple of the events. I’m generally a person that shies away from being the first to raise his hand, and that nearly cost me the chance to ask a question I had really wanted to during the alumni panel. Therefore, I wish I would have been more proactive in engaging with some of the alumni from whom I had much to learn. However, I am satisfied overall with my level of involvement during the flash internship.

One thought on “Sports Media Flash Internship #2

Ben,

Thank you for taking the time to be honest and transparent in this reflection. Our goal was to help students explore the sports media industry, and if your love for sports was reaffirmed then hopefully that means we were successful. The lesson you mention, being patient and working your way up, is an interesting concept in a world where that model seems to be outdated. However, in listening to the esteemed alumni, that is still a successful way to go about breaking into the sports media industry. Many, Tracy in particular, shared her story of cutting video until she got a chance to meet the right people and share her tape. The skills you all learned in just 36 hours with production will only make you more attractive to potential employers.

Your comment about dictating how you are regarded within the industry is also intriguing to me. Have you started to think about how you will present yourself? I imagine that you are someone who will want to take careful consideration for how you will be viewed by audiences and peers alike, given your desire to be an on-air personality. Perhaps you should consider sitting down and developing a strategy around how you plan to develop that personality. Better yet, how can you allow for your own personality to shine on-air? It may be worth following up with some of the alumni you met, in addition to reaching out to other on-air talent, to seek information about how they did it and how you can also do it successfully.

It was great to get to know you during the experience, Ben. You were definitely a source of wit and humor, and I think you did a great job as an on-air talent. I hope that you’ll continue to engage with the Hub going forward.

Mike