First Week at StarEvents #1

This past week (starting May 8th) was my first week starting my Event Logistic Internship at StarEvents. I was attracted to StarEvents originally because I plan to pursue a career in the event planning industry. In pursuing this career, I have gained event planning experience in a variety of industries: community relations, higher education, retail, and magazine/print. I feel that the more industries I gain event planning experience in, the more I will be able to specify which aspects of the job are most attractive to me and thus, which industry I eventually want to end up in post-graduation.

StarEvents works primarily on festivals around the downtown Chicago area during the summer months. This was extremely attractive for me, as I have never worked on festival event planning nor worked on events this large-scale. The largest event I have ever planned had roughly 600 attendees, while StarEvents festivals have thousands of attendees. I am interested to learn how the size of an event influences how to go about planning it. Additionally, I am interested to learn the additional factors that go into planning outdoor events verses indoor events.

I am extremely eager to learn about all the small aspects/details that go into planning such a large-scale festival. From tasks as large as booking the entertainment at a music festival to tasks as small as booking a food vendor, every aspect of the event is an important piece of the finished product. I am looking forward to learning about all the work that goes into putting on a large-scale event, helpful ways to keep organized when dealing with events of this large a magnitude, and working with clients/vendors/attendees to ensure smooth success of an event. Additionally, getting to work these events will be a great way to discover different areas around Chicago while I’m here :).

I am looking forward to a great summer!

3 thoughts on “First Week at StarEvents #1

Hi Marisa! My name is Hannah Lozon and I work at the Opportunity Hub. I will be following your blog posts this summer and I look forward to hearing more about your experience at StarEvents. What a fantastic project for the summer – working on summer festivals in a city as cool as Chicago is a real opportunity! When is the first festival?

I’m impressed you’ve also already had event planning experience in a number of industries as well. Throughout your event planning experience, have you found any specific organizational tools or task managements strategies/software that help you keep track of all the details? I wonder also if you will have the opportunity to do some informational interviews with other staff at StarEvents to learn about their career journeys, and if they have any tips and tricks that might be helpful throughout your internship.

I look forward to your next update!

• May 18, 2018 at 1:23 am

Hi Hannah,

The festival season kicks off tomorrow; I’m excited to start working the events! Excel spreadsheets and a shared drive between the office in general is a huge help for organizational needs.

Already really enjoying the internship and looking forward to posting more updates!

Fantastic! So glad to hear you’re really enjoying it, and can’t wait to hear more about the events and your learning throughout. – Hannah