Sports Media Flash Internship: Blog Prompt #3

After completing this flash internship, I’m honestly still not sure whether or not I want to pursue a career in sports media. Maybe it’s because I haven’t had a lot of time to reflect on the experience yet or that I’m still a bit overwhelmed by everything that has happened within the past couple of days. However, that doesn’t mean the trip wasn’t valuable. In fact, the flash internship is probably one of the most valuable experiences I’ve had so far, and I’m grateful to have been one of the applicants chosen for the trip.

Though I’m still unsure about pursuing a career in sports media, I do know that I want to continue on-camera work. I did a lot of anchoring in high school for a show but halted all of that during my first year in college. When our group toured NBC Sports Group’s, the smooth wood of the desks, the flashing lights, and the sleek cameras triggered a rush of adrenaline and drive that I had often felt when putting myself in front of the camera back in high school. Standing in that studio last week is when I knew I had to get back to doing on-camera work.

In addition to reigniting my interest in being on-camera, there are a couple of valuable takeaways from the internship:

1. Not everyone who enters the sports industry has to have a passion for sports. As someone who enjoys sports but does not have a particular passion for any one sport, team, or player, I was worried about the possible implications that this lack of passion might have on a career in the sports industry. After talking to a couple of alumni, though, it was clear to me that an individual can achieve great success as long as they love and are good at what they do — after that, a passion for sports is just a bonus.
  2. RELATIONSHIPS, RELATIONSHIPS, RELATIONSHIPS…. People always stress the importance of building relationships with others in order to create a strong network, and man did that really shine during my internship. The most important point related to this concept, though? Don’t wait until you need someone’s help to contact them. Start building your relationship with them ahead of time so that when the time comes, they’ll be more inclined to help you out.
  3. To those interested in being talent, it is helpful to frame your questions with a beginning, middle, and end (i.e. reaction, past, future). And always communicate with the producer to get an idea of how many questions and how much time you get for your interview.

Though the internship was an absolutely incredible experience, there are some things that I would do differently if I had a second chance, the biggest being I’d take more risks. What I mean by this is asking more questions (even if they seem stupid in my head) and approaching more people, even if I found them to be intimidating. I don’t regret not doing those things the first time around since everyone has to start somewhere. Next time, though, I plan to attack the situation and work on channeling my nerves into ambition.

One thought on “Sports Media Flash Internship: Blog Prompt #3

Deedy,

Thanks so much for taking the time and putting in the effort for this final blog post. Your vulnerability and honesty is refreshing, and I appreciate you being willing to allow that to show through. There was a lot that happened on this internship, and it provided you with a lot to think about. I know that you came into this unsure about your future in sports media, so I was happy to see that you did not allow that uncertainty to impact your level of engagement. It’s great to know that you found the experience valuable.

I was unaware that you had such interest in doing on-camera work. I think you have a great spirit about you, an inquisitive, introspective nature. I think going forward, you may want to consider allowing that to show a little more. You pushed yourself during the alumni engagement session on Wednesday, but I think you are capable of even more. This could come in the form of you being bold (you’ve heard me use that word with you several times) in your approach, taking initiative and asking the tough questions that so far seem to only exist in your head. It’s good to see you already know this is an area of growth, so let me know if you would like assistance with how to do that when you start to connect with more alumni.

Lastly, I too thought that Adam Schefter’s advice was extremely valuable. Relationships are paramount in any industry, but especially in sports media. Have you thought about how you plan to form those relationships? More importantly, have you given thought to how you will maintain those relationships? You may want to consider creating some sort of document to keep track of who you’ve contacted, how often you reached out to them, and some key takeaways from the conversation.

Thanks again for engaging. Let me know if you have more questions or concerns going forward. Hope to see you in the Hub.