Just Small Town Things

This has been a busy second week for me here in Happy Valley Goose Bay. What’s nice is that I feel like I am being accepted by the community and the office and I feel like I am finally finding my place. People I recognize will say hi to me as I walk to the Centre every day and I feel like the interpersonal dynamics between myself and the other people who work here are developing really well.

This place is really making me think about the sort of impact I want to have on others when I choose a career in the future. The Women’s Centre holds a lot of community events for women of all ages and situations to encourage them to come out and talk to one another and in general just not feel so isolated. I have organized paint nights, craft circles, and coffee mornings. We recently went to a local high school to talk about mental health and self care. I’ve had conversations with so many people about their life growing up here or in Newfoundland in general.

I’m excited to be starting on my research project this week, I talked to my supervisor and am excited to start focused interviews on why people choose to live here, their lives growing up, their relationship to the Centre and their perspectives on women’s issues in Labrador. I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to get done: I still have to develop questions, do the actual interviews, transcribe, code and analyze them, but I think in the end what I’ll have is a more nuanced view of life here. For me, it’ll be nice to move beyond the perspective of “I am here in a Canadian small town” and really feel like I know the area for the unique place it is.

I probably should have started this project earlier, but I think the office and I were getting used to each other this first couple of weeks. It’s been a mix of typical intern stuff(I cleaned a craft closet today) and more projects where I can lead on. It’s definitely been an experience and I can’t wait for the next few weeks!

One thought on “Just Small Town Things

Hi, Madeleine–

It sounds like things are going very well for you in Happy Valley Goose Bay–that’s great! I am so happy to hear that you are settling in well and feel like your interpersonal relationships are fulfilling. Your research project seems like it will fit in well with your newly-formed relationships, allowing you to take a closer look at life in this small community. I wonder if there are ways that you can incorporate some of your own relationships into your research? That might not be possible, but I’d love to see if there is a way to connect the two very intentionally!

Cheers,

Ian