Blog #1 Starting the internship

After a 16 hour plane ride, and a few jet lagged nights of sleep I have begun my internship in Taipei. For the next eight weeks I will be an intern at a tech startup, Jobalaya. This company is creating a platform with the goal that companies will rely more on referrals to generate quality talent leads, employees to be more engaged in recruitment than they are today, and give job seekers a better change to showcase who they really are through referrals. 

I chose this company for two main reasons. The first being the location, in Taiwan! My mom is originally from Taiwan, so I was intrigued by the opportunity to learn and experience her roots. By living and working here, I am able to explore this unknown and exciting city. Secondly, being a student who is studying user experience and human computer interactions, this company aligns greatly with my goals. I do not know exactly what I would like to do for a career, so being able to get the hands on experience in the technology industry is greatly beneficial. This startup internship will help me further focus my career path and goals. 

I am extremely excited to see how the next eight weeks go, both in the internship and regarding life in Taipei!

One thought on “Blog #1 Starting the internship

Dear Emma,

Happy to hear that you have arrived safely in Taipei, despite the long travels. Finding an internship that aligns with your career goals and your family roots is a fantastic opportunity. I agree that getting your hands dirty is one of the best ways to test what you like and don’t like as you frame future steps. Also, startups in general are a great way to be involved in a wide variety of roles and can teach you a lot about navigating change. I’m excited to hear both how your internship goals and living in Taipei go in the next few weeks. I lived in Taiwan for a year following graduation in Luodong, and would often visit Taipei, so let me know if you need any recommendations!

Best,
    Jenny