Sports Media Flash Internship Reflection

The sports media flash internship was an amazing experience that I am extremely grateful for. Some of the key takeaways I got from this experience are to not be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and to build and maintain relationships. I have been too comfortable lately and this flash internship really forced me to get out of my comfort zone and grow professionally and as a person by networking with successful people and trying new things like doing play-by-play at the softball game for the first time. This experience also allowed me to build new relationships, which was probably my favorite thing about this trip. It was amazing getting to learn about the interests and passions of my eleven peers as well as getting to know the Opportunity Hub mentors and alumni on a deeper level. If I learned anything from this trip, I found out the importance of building and maintaining relationships.

On the first day, we had the opportunity to listen to alumni from the University of Michigan who are very successful in the sports media industry. Listening to all of their stories and advice was very motivating and inspiring.  I was able to learn a lot from Maury Gostfrand of the Montag Group and Dan Steir of NBC Sports Group, and both of them offered great advice. Before the alumni panel started, Ben Anderson, one of our mentors from the LSA Opportunity Hub, introduced me to Maury Gostfrand because he knew that he would be the perfect person for me to connect with considering my interest in going to law school and pursuing a career as a sports agent. When Ben introduced me, I was shocked because Maury had clearly read my bio and made the conversation much more personal

One of my main goals coming into the flash internship was to learn what people did in the sports media industry. I now have a clear sense of the many career options in the industry as well as the amount of work it takes to become successful in the field. Moving forward from this experience, my goals for the near future are to reach out to a few athletic teams at Michigan to try to work with them. This is something that I have wanted to do since I first enrolled at the university, but have struggled to initiate. I also want to involve myself in more clubs and organizations on campus next year. A bigger goal that I now have is to get an internship with a sports agency so that I can learn more about that specific career I am interested in.