Neuroscience Lab Research on Mice I #2

Continuing with last weeks theme of mouse research techniques, I learned how to section a mouse brain so that a section can be looked at under a microscope. The machine I used cuts the brain into micrometer lengths, which afterwards you then place the section into water and then onto a slide. Most of the cuts made were coronal sections of the brain, and this technique is useful for studying the effects of tumor growth in the brain on a microscopic level.

That said, thus far, the internship has kept in-line with my expectations because I knew that much of my time would be spent learning new techniques to operate and study mice. Additionally, when I am not working with mice or mice tissue, I perform experiments to create and test for the creation of the desired pT2 plasmid that my mentor is making in hopes of creating a better tumor mouse model.

Something I learned when starting up with this internship is that many labs have a similar culture or race among their personal. For example, a vast majority of the people working in my lab are Argentinian, which makes for many opportunities to speak in Spanish. This is helpful to me because I just finished my second year of Spanish classes, and I can now use that knowledge to converse with my fellow employees, such as when my mentor does not know a word in English. ¡Esta es una buena oportunidad, y me encanta cuando los científicos traen comida de Argentina!

2 thoughts on “Neuroscience Lab Research on Mice I #2

Hi, Matthew.

I’m happy to hear you’ve been able to jump right into the research. Out of curiosity, have you heard much about these techniques in class or is it brand new information?

And you get to practice your Spanish – what a pleasant surprise! I hope you’re enjoying the conversation and Argentinian cuisine.

Hello, Samantha,

Most of these techniques are new to me and were not mentioned in a class, though I may have heard about them before through conversations with other people.