First Week in Morigenos

I just finished my first week of interning in Morigenos, the Slovenian Marine Mammal Society in Piran. It was different from what I expected from the internship. I expected very structured times when I had to go do fieldwork, and certain times when I did photo-identification of the dolphins. However, after the first week, I realized that the work I had to do is more on a day to day basis. For instance, if the whether is bad, like it is today, I would stay in with Sofia (another University of Michigan intern) and do photo-identification. On Saturday, another member of Morigenos came and brought us to Koper, which is another city 30 minutes from Piran, to do public outreach on Health Day. It would be very useful to be able to speak Slovenian because the first language is Slovenian, but people still understood English.

The second day of the internship, my boss took Sofia and I on the boat to go to Izola, which is another city in Slovenia, to get gasoline. On the way back to Piran, we spotted a dolphin. We tailed it, and my boss took many pictures of the dolphin. I took pictures and videos too, with my boss’ permission. It was the first dolphin I saw on the field and unfortunately, we haven’t spotted anymore dolphins on the field after that time.

Here is a picture of the land observation point, where we try to spot dolphins with binoculars or the naked eye.

One thought on “First Week in Morigenos

Hi Winny,
    Congrats on wrapping up Week 1 with Morigenos!
    It sounds like you’ve jumped right into photo-identification work, as well as being flexible to changing schedules. That’s awesome that you’ve already been able to contribute to the team, get a lay of the land, and learn the processes of their work.

What type of public outreach were you doing on Health Day? What a great opportunity to see how Morigenos engages with local communities, as well as be part of that. You mentioned how speaking Slovenian would be beneficial – any thoughts on if learning some Slovenian is a possibility, or of interest during your time there?

That’s exciting that you saw and were able to document a dolphin! Hope there are more sightings to come!
    Looking forward to hearing where else your work takes you!
    Beth

PS. Beautiful photo of the observation point!