Initial Thoughts | Working For a Non-Profit #1

I started working at Mercy-USA for Aid and Development in Plymouth, MI and I love it. I chose to intern at this organization because it has done a spectacular work around the world. Their mission is to alleviate human suffering by supporting individuals to become more self-sufficient. Their international projects include a school for the visually impaired kids, a safe access to clean water in Somalia, mobile medical units for women and children in Syria, and many more projects.

The CEO and my colleagues are friendly and inspiring. They are entirely invested in serving the organization and it is motivating me. This week, I  learned that Mercy-USA started to focus on local projects as well. I am excited to work on new projects that will serve the less fortunate individuals in our local communities to become more self-sufficient! Coming up with projects that will benefit our communities is the trickiest part of planning. There are many unmet urgent needs and long-term needs in every community. Planning involve evaluating each community’s circumstances individually, to be able to prioritize their needs. For example, in winter, the organization’s priority in Detroit was to distribute new winter care packages to homeless shelters. It was important to serve the urgent unmet needs before considering any long-term effective projects in the city. I am thrilled to explore more projects and ideas, and my first week was great!

2 thoughts on “Initial Thoughts | Working For a Non-Profit #1

Hi Abrar! My name is Hannah Lozon and I work at the Opportunity Hub. I will be following your blog posts this summer and I look forward to hearing more about your experience at Mercy-USA.

Kudos on your first few week, I’m so pleased to hear you’re having a fabulous experience. Are you from the SE MI region? I wondered if that’s what got you excited working on a local project that might impact your own community. No matter where it is, Mercy-USA’s work is so important. Did you have any particular goals you were hoping to get out of your experience this summer? Projects you’d like to work on, people to meet, meetings to sit in on? I hope you’ve been able to talk to a supervisor about making some of those happen while you are at Mercy-USA.

Finally, have you been to visit us at the Opportunity Hub before? At the end of your internship it could be great to meet with one of our coaches to really finesse how you represent your responsibilities this summer on your resume, cover letter, graduate school applications, etc.

I hope you have a great weekend, and I look forward to your next update!

Hello Ms Lozon!
      I immigrated to SE Michigan 3 years ago, and that’s why I am passionate about giving back to this incredible community!
      I definitely agree with you that offering help is important wherever it is mostly needed.

My supervisors are very supportive so I always seek their advice in terms of professional growth, and they are open to new ideas.

Thank you for offering help, and I look forward to visiting the opportunity hub at the end of my internship.