Highlights from May

Hello from London!

It has been a busy couple of weeks in the U.K., (as you can see because I have just now gotten around to the blog posting). But, I have already learned so much from my experience, and am excited to document some of the highlights through this blog. I will start from the beginning!

April 28, 2018: I departed Ann Arbor a few hours after my sister’s graduation ceremony in the Big House and flew to France with my parents. We spent two days touring the beaches of Normandy and three days in Paris. While in Normandy at the American Cemetery and Memorial, we ran into an arrangement of flowers that looked very familiar….

(As it turns out the football team had visited the day before us and left this beautiful arrangement of flowers).

May  6, 2018: After dropping me off in London, my parents returned to the US . I was officially alone in the UK, but excited to explore the city on my own. I moved into my flat by King’s Cross and practiced using the tube several times so that it would go smoothly on my first day of work.

May 7-8, 2018: Took a train into Edinburgh for two days. Siteseeing included: The Royal Mile, Edinburgh Castle, The Palace of Holyrood, Mary King’s Close, Royal Botanic Gardens, and the Portrait Gallery. Probably one of my favorite cities I’ve ever visited, and definitely want to return!

Edinburgh, Scotland

May 10, 2018: To my dismay, despite the practice, the tube did not go smoothly on my first day of work. (Note to self: leave for work an hour earlier than you think you should leave as the public transportation here is a nightmare during peak hours!) Once I did get to work, however, Doug (my supervisor) showed me around the office and gave me an outline of the summer.

May 14-18, 2018: I was fortunate enough to be able to attend and help coordinate a 5-day Health and Safety workshop for Shell Oil in Cambridge. This included a tour of the beautiful campus (including an evening of punting on the river), and also several days of networking with the geoscientists and executives from Shell. Needless to say, it was an incredible to speak with experts in the field of geology, and learn about how to lead by example with safety. (Longer post to come about this experience!)

May 19, 2018: My friend and I took a train into Windsor and stood 5 feet away from the royal couple after they emerged from the church. We did wait in this spot for about three hours, but it was worth it!!

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex!

May 22, 2018: Attended a squash tournament with my boss and his wife at St. George’s Tennis Club! This was my first time ever seeing squash, and I have to say the bar is now set extremely high. We were able to see the number one squash player, Mohamed El Shorbagy compete tonight! Incredible playing.

With only two weeks of work under my belt, I have had almost a summer’s worth of experiences. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the summer holds.

Anna

2 thoughts on “Highlights from May

Dear Anna,

Thanks for sharing your highlights from the past month! It’s so interesting how differently time passes when adventuring and learning in a new environment, and I’m sure there’s a lot more to come. The Shell Oil workshop at Cambridge sounds like an amazing experience. I’m excited to hear more about it, and what about the workshop and your role interest you the most.

Best,
    Jenny

P.S. I can’t believe you saw them come out of the royal wedding!! I can only imagine how festive the atmosphere was.

Anna,

I’m so glad you have had a great experience so far. And, as a Brit, am jealous you got so close to the royal couple!!!
    I’m also glad to hear the work Doug has you doing is engaging. Jenny told me you reached out about London U-M alumni. I hope you can connect with Brice, he is great and knows many other alums….

Looking forward to reading more.

Rachael