Surprise changes | Post #1

Originally, I’d planned to work on a research project studying the changes in cell-to-cell interactions and cellular organization in prostate cancer, but I was given the opportunity to work on my current project. Studying the developmental changes in chromatin accessibility certainly differs from what I was expecting when I arrived on the first day. Most of my internship is the same, though, and more in line with what I was anticipating. It’s a lot of biology lab work, like dissections, tissue staining, and cell imaging, and it’s also based on more complex genetics than I’ve studied in classes so far.

In those regards, there isn’t much that’s surprised me aside from two things: the early results of my research so far, and what’s it like spending all day in a lab. I walk into a lab in the morning and walk out later in the afternoon, and between then I usually only leave for my spring classes. The rest of the time, I’m either at my desk, working on a protocol, or in another room in the building doing something else that’s research-related. I’ve really enjoyed my work so far, though, so hopefully I’ll continue to be surprised.

One thought on “Surprise changes | Post #1

Thanks, Emily, for sharing. My name is Ian Baker, and I’m the Opportunity Hub’s Learning Coordinator. I’ll be following along with your experiences this summer and commenting on each of your blogs. It sounds like your summer is off to a good start, which is great to hear! I’m looking forward to reading the rest of your blogs and see how things are going….