Split, Croatia- #4

Hello, I hope everyone’s internships are going great. Anyways, today I am writing about my mentor, who is honestly one of the sweetest people I have ever met.

For my internship I work directly with my mentor. She basically teaches me what to do and then has me do the tasks on my own, which is perfect for me. It helps that she teaches at the university in Split, because she has some nice powerpoints to help explain everything to me. Because of her, I have learned a lot about this industry in general, as well as the specific work I am doing.

For me, Danijela is beyond a great mentor because she was happy to not only teach me, but also three other interns from France, everything she knows about Split and Croatia as a whole. She explained to me a lot of the history of Split the day I arrived and always has a new tidbit to throw at me. She is always telling us about neat places we should visit and why certain cities or industries are important to Croatia. She has done so much that she did not have to do, including helping me get my things in order when I first arrived, which I will forever be grateful for.

2 thoughts on “Split, Croatia- #4

Living in a new country can definitely have its benefits and challenges, so it’s wonderful to hear that you have matched well with your mentor. It’s also great that she shared powerpoint resources with you. Thinking about future LSA interns in Split, would you be able to share how you initially became matched and started a dialogue with your mentor? Also, have there been any communication approaches that have worked well with asking her questions or keeping your mentor updated on how things are going (E.g. like sharing preferences to connect in-person v.s. email; having a scheduled weekly lunch or coffee meeting; etc..)?

• June 10, 2018 at 6:54 am

I started talking with my mentor before the trip when I was interviewed over skype and then emailed her up until the trip to ask questions about Split and the work I would be doing. As for communication now, it does not take a lot of effort because I work directly with my mentor and we are in the same office/labs most of the day, so if I ever have any questions, I can just ask.