First Day Adventures | #2

My first full week as an operations and deployment intern at Johnson & Johnson Medical here in Sydney, Australia has been nothing short of underwhelming (but in a good way). I must admit I was more than nervous to arrive on the first morning of my internship. I had to take the train from my apartment to my place of work at 7 am and all the while I kept thinking to myself: “I should have done a test run”, but oh well. So there I was at the crowded train station, the train started approaching the platform, I could see the lights come through the tunnel, the screeches of the tracks, people chatting away and stations employees yelling out “mind the gap, mind the gap.” I looked up at the screen schedule and saw that my train would/ should be here, so just as I was about to hop on, I noticed the destination on the train did not match the one on the screen. I quickly asked an employee for clarification and thankfully, he helped me realize that my train was arriving in one minute, not departing in one minute. Phew! That was a close one. I waited one more minute and this time boarded the correct one. Once I arrived at work I was warmly greeted by my sponsor. She showed me to my desk and helped me get settled in. Then we walked over to a coffee shop for lunch. She then gave me a very long overview and history of the company. I tried to follow along as much as I could but I must admit, a lot of the operations logistics she explained went over head. But nevertheless, she told me not to worry, I would have plenty of time to get used to this lingo. Afterwards my manager and I worked together so that he could go into specifics about what my summer project would be. I felt a lot of excitement and nervousness as we talked. I was surprised to  find out that a lot of what I learned class would actually be applicable to my new job. In conclusion, the first day of work was information overload but as the clock hit 5pm, I gathered my belongings and started heading home. Now, to figure out my way back on the train.

One thought on “First Day Adventures | #2

Wow, Erica, that sounds like a nerve-wracking situation with the train! I’m glad to hear that you were able to figure out the right train and didn’t end up getting lost on your first day. Your idea to do a test run sounds like a great way to make sure you can focus on what’s important on your first day and feel less nervous (and also not get lost!). Maybe you can do that in the future when you start a new position.

It sounds like you and your sponsor are already developing a good relationship and that she is being kind and supportive. That’s great to hear! It’s really cool also to learn that what you have learned in class will be helpful in your job. I’d be curious to hear more about what specific things you’ve learned in class that you’re finding useful. Making connections between your classwork and professional life in these blog posts is great practice for talking about the value of your education throughout your life.

I hope you were able to get the right train and get back home safely!

Maggie