Diving Into My SpellBound Internship- #1

I had two weeks to relax and prepare for my internship with SpellBound after finishing up the winter semester of my sophomore year.

Life was good.

I wanted to get an internship at SpellBound as soon as I realized that was an option for the program I was in (ELP AKA Entrepreneurs Leadership Program), and I pursued them relentlessly until they said yes.

I attended the startup career fair, created an unsolicited video for them, and tried to keep in touch until the hiring process started. Looking back, I realize how lucky I was to be hired by them because they were the only company I was pursuing, so if something didn’t work out on their end, I would likely end up interning somewhere that’s not a 10/10 on the “awesome internship” scale.

At this point you might be wondering, ” Why exactly did you want to intern with SpellBound so badly?”

Well.

There were many factors that drew me to them, but the two most important ones were:

1. I connected with their purpose. Many companies have a goal that they’re working towards, but not all companies have a purpose. And even less companies have a purpose I could connect with. However, SpellBound’s mission seemed like an ideal fit because they help children in hospitals have a better patient experience by using Augmented Reality, and as a sickly kid who frequently had to visit the hospital, I viscerally felt the issue they were trying to fix.
  2. I wanted to work with AR. I believe Augmented Reality is one of the things that will be the “next Internet,” and working at a company that creates amazing experiences for children using this technology, and having the opportunity to maybe create some things myself even though this would be a sales and marketing internship was too good to pass up.

How did I feel about my internship coming up?

Nervous. Excited. Unsure of what to expect. All of the stereotypical things that people feel about doing something new, but I also felt ready because I knew I would be working at a company that aligns with my goals, so no matter how hard things would get, I would break through the barrier and get things done.

P.S.- The featured image was taken from Flickr under the Creative Commons 2.0 rights.

2 thoughts on “Diving Into My SpellBound Internship- #1

Ilya,
    My name is Beth Bodiya and I am a Hub Coach at the Opportunity Hub; I will be following your blog posts this summer and can’t wait to hear how your internship goes. I really enjoy your writing style! Your enthusiasm and drive for what you do comes across so easily in your commentary.

I’m not familiar with ELP — could you tell me more? I’m impressed by how purposeful you were in expressing your interest in SpellBound (this would be a great spot to insert a terrible pun about you keeping them spellbound 🙂 eesh). You definitely won them over! Congrats on landing your 10/10 internship!

Your personal interest and passion in SpellBound’s purpose is inspiring. I can’t wait to hear more about their work. You mentioned that your responsibility this summer will be with sales/marketing – will you also have the opportunity to do some AR work? How big is the team and how long has SpellBound been around?

Looking forward to following your footsteps!
    Beth

Hey Beth,
      Thanks for your comment! I’m ready to be “coached” 🙂

ELP is the Entrepreneur Leadership Program offered through the Center For Entrepreneurship (CFE). It’s a 2 semester program where students apply in the fall semester, take a class that helps then understand the startup world in the winter, get an internship at a startup during the summer, and then take another class in the fall to help us reflect and grow as entrepreneurs. It’s been a blast so far!

The team was pretty open to me trying out new things as long as it didn’t get in the way of the tasks I absolutely had to do, so I did try out AR for a bit when prepping for Tech Trek (by creating Augmented Reality jenga), but my team and I decided it wasn’t a good fit so we scrapped it.

SpellBound has been around for ~2 years now, and the team currently has 7 people who are at the office sometime during the week including me.

Thanks!