The Food #3

Food in Costa Rica is relatively cheap compared to the prices in the United States. Here, a person can order a casado, which includes a choice meat, rice and beans, salad, fried plantains, another side item, and juice or coffee. This is a typical meal in Costa Rica and it is only about four to six dollars. Even though I LOVE the taste of the rice and beans, they upset my stomach a lot. It is very unfortunate because rice and beans are such a staple part of meals in Costa Rica. My host mom and I have had to adjust my meals to include white rice and fruit as a substitute.

My most memorable food memory in Costa Rica was trying ceviche. Ceviche is a popular seafood dish in Latin American countries. My Spanish professor at UMich often advised students to try ceviche  if  ever given the chance. Once I went to a restaurant that was serving it, I immediately ordered it. I expected ceviche to be some type of rare and  fried, coastal fish. Imagine my shock when I was served a bowl of uncooked, cubed tilapia. Ceviche can be made of different species of fish, but it is cured in citrus juices and spices; it is not fried by any means. I was taken aback when I seen the cold fish on my plate, but I tried it and guess what? I loved it! I was worried at first, because I am usually skeptical of uncooked meat, but it was absolutely delicious and refreshing. I would recommend to anyone and it was a tasty, zesty departure from all the arroz y frijoles (rice and beans) haha.

3 thoughts on “The Food #3

Modesta, I am reading your blog right before lunch, and my mouth is watering! So glad you’ve gotten to experience the food as much as possible, that your host mother has been able to make accommodations, and that you pushed yourself out of your comfort zone with the ceviche! Are there any Costa Rica bucket list foods you have to leave before you depart?

I do not have a bucket list for foods, but I am always sure to try new foods while I am here. Many times, while at my weekly meetings, my project leaders while tell me, “Oh, you have to try this.” I always do and some of my favorite foods are found here in Costa Rica.

taking the local recommendation, nice!