First Few Weeks | #2

I am finishing the third week of my internship at the Precision Immunology Lab. So far most of my expectations have been met. I have gotten a lot of hands-on lab experience with many different projects, and was allowed to even do a project of my own. I stained cells and compensation beads for a panel we needed to test. Doing this on my own was a different experience than assisting a lab technician because I had a lot more freedom, but with that comes much more room for error. I made sure to ask questions whenever I was unsure but overall I didn’t need much help. I now feel confident doing this lab work on my own. I also really enjoyed that I was able to work on something start to finish. It was gratifying when I was told that I stained everything well and the data collected was good.

Some goals I have for my internship are to learn new skills that will help me with future lab work. I have an opportunity here to become very experienced with two cutting edge machines only operated by a few labs in the country (one of these machines is only running in my lab currently). The specificity of the skills I am learning will make me stand out when applying for medical schools.

2 thoughts on “First Few Weeks | #2

Hello, Anabel.

I can imagine conducting your own project would be a little nerve-racking, but it sounds like you did a great job! I’m happy to hear you have the ability to ask questions and that you also found confidence in working independently.

I didn’t know that U-M has such cutting edge machines! The opportunity to learn such specific skills will definitely set you apart when applying for graduate school.

Until next time!

Correction: I didn’t know that NYU has such cutting edge machines!*