My New Home #5

Whitehall, Michigan

I grew up in a small rural town in West Michigan where everyone knows everyone’s business. You can’t even go to the grocery store without running into someone you know and most people do not have an education past high school, that is if they even finished it. This town was my home for 18 years, and I loved it but now things have changed.

Ann Arbor, Michigan

I worked hard throughout high school so that I could get into a good college and become a doctor. I wanted to be the outlier of my town and actually make something of myself. So, I came here to UM. I am getting a great education and have access to great opportunities. I am also finally adjusting to the city life which is very different from my hometown. I love UM and Ann Arbor more than I could have ever imagined.

My New Home

I decided to stay here in Ann Arbor over the summer for this internship. I was worried about missing home as I had been gone since September and only visited on breaks. But, this past Memorial weekend I went home because I had Monday off. To my surprise, my ‘home’ didn’t feel like home anymore. I love my family, and it was great to see them but Ann Arbor is my home now, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Image result for map of michigan

2 thoughts on “My New Home #5

Hi Jess – It’s amazing how new experiences like school or work can change our perceptions of place and of home. Thanks for sharing your own discoveries about your sense of home. I’m curious: what new things are you noticing and experiencing about Ann Arbor by being here through the summer? I hope you are finding new things around town to enjoy!

Hi Kate – It definitely is! I am having time to explore and get to know this town more this summer. My freshman year everything felt foreign here. My sophomore year I got into the swing of things, so to say, and now, I feel comfortable here. I know my way around and my house now feels like mine instead of my dorm which felt like a sort of strange hotel. I love it here and would not want to be anywhere else!