Getting Started At The United Nations | #1

It has been 2 weeks since I started my internship in the Environmental Sustainability Department at the United Nations Headquarters in New York and the experience that I have had so far has exceedingly surpassed my greatest expectations. When I first learned that I had obtained the internship, I was overjoyed.  Just a little about my background and interest in the position, I am looking to obtain an MPH in environmental health but while I have been fortunate enough to be able to take part in the more biological and wet bench research aspects of the field working for the University of Michigan School of Public Health, I wanted to gain some more insight into the policy side of environmental work to truly deepen my understanding of the field.

During my time at this internship over the next few weeks, my main project will entail conducting an inventory of the amount of various greenhouse gases emitted by the United Nations Headquarters.  As the organization is committed to leading by example, specifically with regard to the Sustainable Development Goals , the United Nations is focused on sustainable action.  I have already learned so much from my experience and cannot wait to see what the rest of internship will entail!

One thought on “Getting Started At The United Nations | #1

Hi Kathy! My name is Tyler Wang from the Opportunity Hub, and I’ll be following your blog this summer – I’m so excited to hear more about your experience at the UN Headquarters. Your project sounds like it will be a great addition to your skillset in preparation for pursuing an MPH.

As you gather information about greenhouse gases, what are some of the ways you will be examining the findings and connecting it to your desired learnings about policy? Also, I wonder also if you will have the opportunity to do some informational interviews with other staff in the department to learn about their career journeys, and if they have any tips and tricks that might be helpful throughout your internship. You sound like you are already taking full advantage of your experience; if there is anything I can do to support you in your journey, please let me know!

Looking forward to the next update 🙂
    Tyler