Internship in Santiago #1

This summer, I am working as a research assistant intern with the Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (or J-PAL) in its Latin American office, which is housed at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile in Santiago, Chile. This internship is an incredible opportunity for me for a number of reasons. As I am considering going into economic research after graduating from the University of Michigan, working with J-PAL is allowing me to gain exposure to and experience in a field I am passionate about. What’s more, I have a strong desire to live and/or work abroad after graduation, and my time in Santiago is my first time doing both. I have been able to practice my Spanish both at the office and at home, where I live with 19 other foreigners who are from countries including Mexico, Spain, France, and South Africa. As I continue working at J-PAL, I hope to improve my Spanish in order to one day use it with ease in a professional setting. I also hope to take advantage of living in such an incredible city by exploring more neighborhoods and doing more hiking trips in the hills surrounding the area.

Reaching the top of the trail in the Santuario el Cañi near Pucón, Chile, with a volcano in the background.

Visiting Valparaíso with some friends from Mexico.

The house I’m staying in.

One thought on “Internship in Santiago #1

Hi Alice, good to hear from you! Your internship sounds like a fantastic blend of your professional and personal interests, and it would be interesting to see where all of the people you are meeting end up in a few years. I’m glad that you are taking the time to explore Santiago as well as diving into research.

Something that I’d be curious to know is a little more about the people that you are connecting with in the area! Have you met any Michigan alumni or any amazing researchers that you might want to keep in touch with?

Looking forward to your next post,
    Jenny