Split, Croatia #5

Hello everyone 🙂 Today I decided to write about one of my identities and admittedly I am going with a very obvious choice by writing about my nationality. But in all honesty I have never been the only American in a group of people before, so it has never really stood out to me. I feel a responsibility to be careful about what I say and do, because I feel like people may try to judge all Americans off of what I say.

My nationality has been pointed out to me in a number of ways and it has made me really aware of my place in the world. There have been funnier moments, like when I dipped a french fry in a shake without really thinking and everyone thought I was crazy. There have also been moments when I have been asked about American politics and for my view on certain issues around the globe. Those have been the trickier moments.

Because I have been living here awhile and my roommates are from Split, I offend end up places without a lot of tourists. It has been very interesting to see the difference in how they treat me before and after they here my accent or ask them to repeat something in english. That has really made me aware of how I sound when I am out and talking with my roommates.

One thought on “Split, Croatia #5

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about identity! You presented an interesting contrast between cultural identities.

I would agree that as a fellow American there have been instances, like traveling abroad, where I’m especially reminded about American cultural behaviors and how they might differ from the country where I am based. The change in how people treated me before and after they became aware that I was American is something that I’ve also experienced. While this can be a rather challenging cultural context to navigate, I applaud that you are thinking about your responsibility to positively represent the U.S. abroad. Hopefully these experiences are leading to the start of productive conversations with your internship supervisor and coworkers.