First Week | #1

On Thursday night, I packed my essential belongings in my parent’s car and we started the 14-hour journey from Michigan to NYC for my summer internship.  By Friday at noon, I was unloading boxes into my new apartment in Brooklyn, NY.  I spent the weekend sight-seeing with my parents, and soaking in the whole experience.  Most recently, I visited NYC with a friend for a music festival the summer after freshman year.  I had never imagined that just 2 years later I would be living and working in this huge and vibrant city!  The last time I was in New York, I spent my time in Manhattan, Randall’s Island, and Astoria.  Now that I live in Brooklyn, I have the opportunity to explore a completely new environment.  My favorite experiences here so far have been walking across the Brooklyn Bridge and wandering around the Brooklyn Flea Market.

The Brooklyn Bridge

My first day at YARD NYC, I was pleased to meet my fellow interns – four other young women!  Erin, the strategy intern, is a recent graduate from SCAD with an Master’s in Communication Design.  Embe, the art direction intern, went to Pratt in NYC for Art and previously interned at MILK Makeup.  Isabella, the design intern, is a senior at Wash U – St. Louis studying Art.  Katrina, the production intern, is also a senior at Wash U and is double majoring in Production and Marketing.  Needless to say, we are a creative powerhouse!  A true girl gang.  I’m thrilled to be part of such a talented group of young women.

YARD NYC – 25 Broadway

So who am I?  My name is Micayla, and I am the account intern at YARD NYC.  Some other hats I wear are client services, project management, and new business.  I’m a senior at the University of Michigan, pursuing a major in Communications Studies, the Ross Marketing & Sales Track, as well as minors in Entrepreneurship and Environment.  I would like to pursue a career in Marketing with my Communications Studies Degree. I believe that my studies, such as mass media, creative writing and analysis, as well as identity and culture, will inform my work in marketing and communications. At YARD, I will develop expertise in new skills such as brand, social, and digital strategy, insight and research, advertising, campaigns, design, content creations, and retail. My previous internship experience (Spring/Summer 2017) taught me very valuable skills in project and client management that I would like to develop further with my internship with YARD.  Through this internship, I hope to learn about advertising, the work and agency life, plus gain hands-on experience on how projects move from start to finish.

Who is YARD NYC?  YARD NYC is an independent creative agency that works with brands to develop and implement marketing strategies and solidify public perception of brands as cultural icons. Their clients include Timberland, MTV, Smart Water, Target, Athleta, NARS Makeup, and GAP.  I’m incredibly excited to jump onto projects with these clients, and help YARD secure new ones!

One thought on “First Week | #1

Hello Micayla. Thanks for submitting a thoughtful reflection as you begin your summer internship experience with YARD NYC.

I’m happy to hear that your first impressions of the organization and the team you’ll be working with were positive. As you begin your work, I encourage you to really think deeply about the skills you’d like to gain and the experiences you are looking for. You mentioned wanting to learn more about advertising, agency life, and how projects move from start to finish. What about the advertising industry do you want to know? What kind of projects to you picture playing a role in? Who are the experts in your organization that can connect you to such experiences? The more detail and specificity you can highlight in your desirables, the easier it is to clearly communicate to your key stakeholders.

Best of luck as you begin your experience. I look forward to reading more!

-Josh